Book Review: Flawless


Title: Flawless
Author: Lara Chapman
Rating: 


Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.
Gorgeous friend. Shared crush. Big problem.

This book was a surprise. Though the store has been overused. The author managed to squeeze in some of the major issues which concern teenagers of today.

THE COVER. The cover drew me to this book :) It definitely says it all. It shows a beautiful girl with gorgeous eyes and lips but her nose was replaced by the word Flawless. It shows that major issue discussed within the book.

SARAH BURKE. I love her despite her insecurities about her nose, she never considered rhino plastic surgery, which her mom is adamant for her to consider since she had undergone through it when she was Sarah's age. Sarah had been the constant subject of teasing outside the hallways of her school because of her huge and beak-like nose. Despite all these she still managed to hold her head high and not let her detractors have their way. She doesn't show them that their comments and snide remarks are piercing her heart. What she lacks physically are complimented by her intellectualism. She always ace her exams, never got a B in her report card, takes advanced placement courses for college, and she always wins writing contests.

KRISTEN GALAGHER. I love this girl though there was a certain part when I also hated her. She's Sarah's best friend and protector. She's the queen of popularity. What Sarah lacks physically, Kristen fills it in. She's got a very beautiful face which is hard for Sarah not to envy sometimes. But then, she's all personality. She doesn't have the desire to study like Sarah. Although she may not voice it out, sometimes she feels so stupid because she can't compare her intellectualism to Sarah's. They have  different interests. Their friendship was tested when a new boy came into view.

MEET ROCK. A real hottie. The new boy. He's got brains too. He was captivated by Kristen. He doesn't treat Sarah the way others treat her. He's pretty good in literature too and I love how he and Sarah would often dig deep into their intellect when they interpret the meaning behind problems.

This is the part where I kind of hated Kristen. Since she likes Rock, she asks Sarah to write back when Rock sends her a message in Facebook and there goes the deception until Sarah can't take it anymore. I know Kristen is insecure and he wants to impress Rock but then it's wrong to pretend as someone who isn't you exactly. If a guy really likes you, you don't need to pretend or to impress him.

One thing I like about this book is the strong foundation of friendship between Kristen and Sarah. They're really solid and they support each other without pretensions.

I also like the parts when Kristen was trying to make a conversation and is trying to show off and connect to what was being said. She really looks stupid but then Rock didn't know that she's really serious. I feel bad for her. He always thought she was joking.
Sarah: Who's on display at the museum?
 Kristen: Rock said impressionists, which I thought sounded totally cool. I mean, I love it when Jay Thomas does his impression of Napoleon Dynamite. Hilarious!
Sarah: Excuse me?

Kristen: Oh, come on. You've seen him do that a million times.
Sarah: That's not what I mean.Think about what you're saying, Kristen. You're going to a fine arts museum. To see impressionists.
Kristen: Oh no. Omigod, Sarah. What was I thinking? It's not funny, Sarah! I went on and on about how my parents took me to see a famous impressionist when I was little.
Sarah: What was his name?
Kristen: Rich something.
Sarah: Rich Little?
Kristen: That's it!
Sarah: Impersonator, not impressionist.

Kristen: I'm going to be sick.
I  also liked the part where Sarah read her literary piece which won her a $2000 college infront of the whole class.
Loyalty.
The very word evokes strong emotion. By definition, it means a feeling of devotion, duty, or attachment to someone or something. It’s considered the core foundation of all successful relationships, both personal and professional. 
But what about loyalty to ourselves? 
In Hamlet, Shakespeare penned a well-known but often forsaken phrase: To thine own self be true. 
Is it true that we owe ourselves the same loyalty we pledge to others? How do we reconcile that belief with our loyalty to others, especially when it comes at the cost of our own happiness?
I’ve recently learned something very profound: loyalty to others can be a weakness if you don’t know how to balance it with loyalty to yourself, to your own ideals and goals.
This wasn’t a lesson I learned easily. It came after weeks of refusing to follow my own instincts in order to make another person happy.

But it’s funny what you can convince yourself to do in the name of loyalty, in the name of friendship.
When my best friend asked me to do something I knew was wrong, I did it anyway. Now I wonder why I would sacrifice my own self-interest for hers. And it all boils down to that one seven-letter word.
Loyalty.
Clearly, I was misguided in my devotion to our friendship. I can rationalize it all, of course. Maybe I didn't believe I really stood a chance to get what I wanted, so it was easy to ignore my own desires. Maybe I was just scared. Scared of rejection, embarrassment, and worst of all, abandonment.
Still, what haunts me most about my failure to do what was right for me is that I denied myself the opportunity to be truly happy. Since my life-altering mistake was revealed, I haven’t felt the same peace and joy in my heart that was there before.
Honestly, there's a part of me that believes I've earned the misery I'm living through right now.
As a seventeen-year-old senior at Northwest High School, I’m proud to say I’m a good friend, maybe even a great friend. But I know now exactly how far I’ll go for that friendship and vow to show myself the same loyalty I’ve given others. I deserve a place on my list of priorities. I’ve learned that my own happiness is as important as anyone else’s and loyalty to myself is paramount.
Thank you, Shakespeare, for the words that now guide my heart, my every decision.
To myself I will be true. 
This book is about accepting who you are. Accepting your flaws. Accepting what God has given you and learning to love and believe in yourself. Do not let your detractors crumble you to pieces. Stand up and hold your head high. If they can't accept your flaws then you probably don't need them. Sometimes people do not look on your physical appearance but on what's within you. If you found one, don't let him/her go. Maybe he's/she's worth it.

Another thing about this book is that if you're bestfriend really loves you, she will accept you no matter what. Do not be afraid to voice out what you feel.

Friends are the most important people in your life because you get to choose them.
It's all a matter of you accepting who you are. Everyone else around has already done that, and those that haven't don't matter anyway.
Sometimes the best gift you can give yourself is a second chance. 
 

Labels: ,