Book Review: The Witness


Title: The Witness
Author: Nora Roberts
Publication Date: April 17th 2012
Publisher: Putnam Adult
ISBN: 0399159371
ISBN13: 9780399159374
Copy: Ebook
Pages: 757 pages
Rating: 


Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever. 

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems--and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail's reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something--and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.

Well, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I missed reading Nora Roberts and this book is the first I've read in over a year. I avoided reading her books lately because I decided that while I love her work, sometimes there's a need for me to read something different. So when I stumbled upon this on Goodreads, I decided to give it a try because I think it's something different from her previous books. And boy, I love reading every bit of it. This is one of those books that will make you keep turning the page even though you know it's late and without knowing that it had already came to an end because you realize that it is already the last page of the book. That's how I felt exactly considering that it was 757 pages. It was awesome! The story is great and I love the characters.

ELIZABETH FITCH. She's a sixteen year old girl who was created by her mother and a sperm she got from the sperm bank. Her mother chose her father's sperm because of his excellent health (no medical history), his physical looks and of course his genius brain. So as a result, she produced a child prodigy with a well-researched genetic structure. At sixteen, she has already finished her pre-med course and was already planned to be enrolled at Harvard Medical School. Her life was already scheduled and she decided that she's had enough. So when her mother left her alone in their house, she went out and then she met Julie Masters. They hit it off and soon enough she agreed to create a fake ID and went out with her to Warehouse 12. They met Alexi Gurevich and Ilya Volkov. One thing led to another then they went to Alexi's house. Little did she know that what will happen will change the entire course of her life. She witnessed the murder of her friend, Julie Masters and Alexi Gurervich and this may cause a big problem to one of the most powerful Russian Mafia, the Volokovs. Because of this, she was sent to Witness Protection Program and somehow the Volkovs tracked her through a connection they have in the police force. She caused the murder of her two US Marshall protectors but mad an escape. For 12 years, she's still on the run and still hiding.

ABIGAIL LOWERY. Oh, I so love this heroine! She's such a kick-ass! She's an expert hacker, an excellent shooter, knows hand-to-hand combat, a computer programmer, a great cook, and she's also a game developer. This woman has a very quirky character. She thinks logically and I find it amusing when she explains things like it's natural. She connects every thing to science. And because of her social exile, she finds it hard to connect with people. She's really funny without even trying to be. Just like this one:
"I need to take a covered dish to your mother's. You know very well I'm not familiar with the rules. You should have told me."
"There aren't any rules. It's just--" 
"It says right here." She jabbed a finger at her screen. "Guest often bring a covered dish, perhaps a personal specialty." 
"Where does it say that?"
"On this site. I'm researching barbecue etiquette." 
"Jesus Christ." 
She never fails to amaze me especially when she does that. She takes things literally sometimes. But she learned how to communicate socially when Brooks found her.  I can't help but remember Lisbeth Salander in her character. 
"I grew up here, moved to Little Rock for a spell. I moved back about six months after you got here. What brought you to Bickford?"
"My car."
***
"You can't know what other people are thinking or wishing or believing unless they tell you. And what about the whole faith can move mountains deal?" 
"I've never seen a mountain move, much less through faith." 
BROOKS GLEASON. If you're on a hiding, be sure to avoid the very pushy and nosy Ozarks Chief of Police. He's awesome! I love him. He's very charming and caring. He's funny too. I like how he cares for Abigail and I fell in love even more when he decided to help her with her case. He helped her relieve her fear. He risked his position as the chief of police just to free Abigail of her burden. He's been so patient and understanding for Abigail to learn to trust. 

BERT. Of course, the adorable and overprotective dog. I want to have a dog like him too,

This book is a reminder that there is still the existing problem in the Police Force. There are still those who are blinded by the their greed of money and abuse their power of authority. 

Although I did not like the ending very much, I guess it has to end like that. It's difficult to fight with a generation of powerful Russian Mafia family. I gave it a five because of Abigal Lowery. 

I have read several Romance Suspense books Nora Roberts but this one was one of her bests. 

It's an unfortunate by-product of a patriarchal society that women are deemed sluttish or cheap for engaging in sex for pleasure while men are considered vital. Virginity should't be a prize to be won, or withheld. The hymen has no rewarding properties, grants no powers. Women should - no, must - be allowed to pursue their own sexual gratification, whether or not procreation is the goal or the relationship a monogamous one, just as a man is free to do so.

A polite bitch is still a bitch.
Sometimes progress and change is a good thing; sometimes it isn't.
Studies show adolescent males often make decisions based on sex. Many fail to grow out of it.
There's no such thing as predestination or fate or destiny. Life is a series of choices and circumstance, action and the reaction, and results of other people's choices.
The man steals a loaf of bread because he's starving and desperate shouldn't be treated the same as the one who steals it planning to sell it at a profit.
When two people feel something, they ought to respect that enough to try to figure it out.
Love doesn't turn on and off like a light switch.
Obsession with breast size is as foolish as obsession with penis size.
I don't believe in fate, or in things being meant. But I believe in you.

Labels: ,